Tuesday, February 3, 2009

25 Random Things

What a concept. Is it for the writer or for the reader? For the writer, I think.

My friend Geoff tagged me first. How lucky is that! Geoff is one of the most eloquent and humorous writers I know. He wrote more than a list. Hilarious. Descriptive. Heartbreaking. And because I had this example, it took me three damn weeks to write my list. Does it qualify as "Random Things" if I really worked the list over, adding and subracting and ruminating on the effect my selection of personal disclosures might have on each individual whom was tagged? Okay - so it wasn't random after all.

It was, in fact, better than a therapy session. I was forced to choose what is important. What sticks in my head. What I want to be remembered for.

Geoff warned me that it would be challenging because it seems, well, ego-centric. But, oh, isn't this a lovely opportunity to lay out our guts for all to see exactly as we wish to arrange them?
I do not assume that everyone struggled as I did with this list. But, then again, I know that some did. For example, my awesome son told me that he purposefully did not read my list until he wrote his own - and then told me he felt "selfish."

But I did not experience "selfish." Rather, it was a gift that brought a tear to my eye to read that baseball feels "second nature" to him (just like his Dad - how did I not know this?), and to read how he views his inner machinations. Yes, a gift, to add a few brand new notions to my understanding of the one human being on this earth who is composed of my own flesh and blood.

Okay - I just contradicted my opening line. For it is from the perspective of "reader" that I am reflecting on my son's list.

But the reflection inherent in this act of compilation is powerful nonetheless. Much the way when interviewed about what I do for a living, I come to understand better why I make my choices, this act of listing is a very profound way of knowing ourselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment